Saturday, September 17, 2011

Taurus 24-7 Pro DASA 9mm Gen 1

One would be hard pressed to find a better quality firearm in the 250-350 dollar range. I acquired a full size Taurus 24-7 pro in 9mm 3 years ago. It was the first handgun I had purchased myself. That being said one could say I am partial to it but I will be honest about its flaws. I have beat the hell out of this gun it is at the 4500rnds mark give or take a few rounds, with no major malfunctions. Only one problem with functionality was when the firearm was still in the break in period it had a few feed issues at the beginning. That was also with the cheapest ammo I could find with the steel casing with burrs and nicks on the sides.
Using a bit of flitz polish on the guide rails and the already polished feed ramp fixed the problems with feeding. Another issue you are likely to have and this is unanimous with everyone Ive talked to accessories for this gun are hard to find however I know for a fact that the 24-7 will fit in the Springfield XDm factory holster. Other than that I am not aware of any other accesories made for this particular firearm. The sights are dovetailed front and rear so wind-age adjustments are possible but not elevation. The gen2 however has remedied this problem, although it might not be necessary mine was sighted fine out of the box. Speaking of the box that is about what you get with the pistol and its nothing amazing. You get the standard owners manual, a lock, they give you a nylon brush, and the pistol with 2 magazines. However the box is so small that you have to keep one of the mags in the gun if you are going to store it. That being said the box is pretty sturdy and holds the gun in place and has that nice foam stuff inside.
This firearm is extremely accurate and easy to shoot a major complaint from my students however is all three controls on the gun are in line and the same shape. Taurus has remedied this by giving it the Glock two pinch take down. I like the original actual take down pin. The safety De-cocker is in a very natural position for a right handed shooters thumb. While my particular model is the full size 4inch barreled version I have used it to teach people of all statures to shoot and shoot well with.

The thumb pads on the frame of the pistol lead to muscle memory shooting making it very natural to come back to even after training on a different weapon system. The 17+1 capacity of the 9mm version is up to par with industry standards. 15+1 for the 40s&w and 12+1 for the 45acp make even the 45 a viable option for defense with 13 rounds in the palm of your hand. As far as conceal ability goes I have carried this gun concealed but it is not easy and there are many choices I would take over this one perhaps my pt745 which is Taurus' compact 45acp pistol or one of the many Taurus millennium pro compacts. They even make a 380 the pt738 which I will be picking up one as soon as I have the chance.




Definitely if you have the chance check one out they are fun to shoot and very easy to teach with. Come back every Saturday for a new fun gun review. and check out the accompanying youtube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment